January 7, 2021
2 mins read

SC stays SAT order taking down penalty

The matter pertains to an appeal filed by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) folllowing the SAT order…reports Asian Lite News

In a major development, the Supreme Court has stayed an order of the Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) wherein the latter had substituted a penalty by SEBI in a case of fraudulent trading in the shares of Mapro Industries, with just a warning.

The matter pertains to an appeal filed by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) folllowing the SAT order.

The top court noted that the direction substituting the penalty, which was imposed for indulging in fraudulent and unfair trading practices Section 15HA of the SEBI Act, with a warning was in contradiction to the statutory provision.

As per Section 15HA of the SEBI Act, if any person indulges in fraudulent and unfair trade practices relating to securities, he shall be liable to a minimum penalty of Rs 5 lakh which may go up to Rs 25 crore rupees.

The capital market regulator imposed a penalty of Rs 5 lakh each against Bharti Goyal along with 15 other entities for indulging in fraudulent trade in the shares of Mapro Industries. The penalty was imposed for violating provisions of the norms for prohibition of fraudulent and unfair trade practices.

Following the imposition of the penalty, Goyal and one other individual approached the appellate tribunal. Later in August 2020, SAT, though, said that the manner of trading by the individuals violated the norms, replaced the fine levied by SEBI with a warning.


Supreme Court in its order noted that the SAT is not exercising the jurisdiction under Article 226 of the Constitution in manner consistent with law.
The development gains significance as it may lead review of such similar directives by the appellate tribunal, which may eventually close any leeway to escape monetary policy by offenders of fraudulent trading in securities.
Last month, the Securities and Appellate Tribunal (SAT) on Monday issued a notice to the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) in an appeal filed by 63 moons technologies limited against the formers order in the STP Gate matter.

The SAT has kept the matter for final hearing and disposal on January 29, 2021, a statement by 63 moons technologies said on Monday.

It may be noted that the SEBI passed an order, rejecting the approval for providing STP Gate Services to 63 moons on the basis of ‘Fit & Proper’ order that was passed by the Forward Market Commission (FMC) seven years ago.

As the order is yet to take effect, the SAT saw no need to consider staying the SEBI order at this stage, according to the statement.

Also read:SEBI mulls setting up more exchanges

Previous Story

SEBI mulls setting up more exchanges

Next Story

Kohli’s MPL investment sparks controversy

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop