June 17, 2020
1 min read

A day after the attack, China asserts sovereignty over Galwan Valley

A day after India lost 20 of its soldiers in the bloodiest border skirmish since 1975 with the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA), China said that it has always “maintained sovereignty over the Galwan Valley region”. The clash occured in the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh on Monday night.

Senior Colonel Zhang Shuili, spokesperson for the Western Theater Command of the PLA, made a statement late on Tuesday over the clashes along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan Valley area, Xinhua reported.

The sovereignty over the Galwan Valley area has always belonged to China, Shuili said in the statement.

He pointed out that “the Indian border troops reneged on their commitments, seriously violated agreements and protocols between the two countries on border issues and the consensus reached at the commander-level talks between the two militaries, and severely undermined the Sino-Indian military relations and the feelings of the two peoples”.

“We demand the Indian military strictly restrains its frontline troops, immediately stops all infringing and provocative actions, work with the Chinese side towards the same goal, and return to the right track of resolving differences through dialogue and talks,” Shuili stressed in the statement.

According to Chinese government backed daily Global Times, the country’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said in a press conference on Tuesday that despite China and India’s close communication via diplomatic and military channels aimed at easing border tensions, Indian troops on Monday severely violated the consensus reached in the two countries’ commander-level talks on June 6.

Indian Army lost 20 of its men, including officers, in an unprecedented violent clash with the Chinese People’s Liberation Army troopers in the Galwan Valley on Monday night. The force said the death toll may increase, as many soldiers were grievously injured.

The Indian Ministry of External Affairs maintained that “there were casualties on both sides.” “Their (China) casualties are in single digits so far,” sources told IANS.

Also Read: Galwan: First casualties suffered by either armies since 1975

Previous Story

Galwan: First casualties suffered by either armies since 1975

Next Story

Casualties on Chinese side in single digits, so far

Latest from China

Modi, Xi to Meet at SCO Summit

This will be PM Modi’s first visit to China in last seven years and the first since the Galwan Valley faceoff…reports Asian Lite News Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi

Xi’s Tibet Trip Aims at Strategic Edge Over India

Xi’s visit to the Tibet Autonomous Region and his emphasis on security and stability highlight Beijing’s resolve to ensure the Dalai Lama’s succession issue does not undermine its control over Tibet….reports Asian

London Puts Beijing on Hold

The proposed embassy, earmarked for the site of a historic two-century-old building near the Tower of London, has been bogged down in dispute for more than three years…reports Asian Lite News The

Modi all set for Japan, China visits

By travelling to both Tokyo and Tianjin within the span of a week, Modi is set to balance strategic partnerships with Japan and cautious engagement with China – two relationships that will
Go toTop