July 18, 2024
3 mins read

Israeli forces shell central Gaza, tanks advance in Rafah

In one incident, an Israeli airstrike around midnight targeted a house in Al-Zawyda, killing eight people…reports Asian Lite News

Israeli forces intensified their operations in the central Gaza Strip on Wednesday, resulting in the deaths of at least nine Palestinians, according to health officials.

In one incident, an Israeli airstrike around midnight targeted a house in Al-Zawyda, killing eight people.

Another strike in the Nuseirat refugee camp claimed the life of one man; this camp had already witnessed a tragic airstrike on a school the previous day, which killed 23 people.

Residents reported that Israeli tanks also shelled the eastern areas of Al-Bureij and Al-Maghazi camps, and an airstrike destroyed a mosque.

In the southern city of Rafah, Israeli tanks conducted a limited raid in the north before retreating, a strategy previously employed in other areas.

Since May, tanks have been active in most parts of Rafah but have avoided deeper incursions into the northern districts.

Medics reported that two people were killed in Rafah by an Israeli strike on Wednesday. Residents also claimed that Israeli forces had demolished dozens of homes.

The Israeli military stated that their troops were engaged in “precise, intelligence-based operational activity in the Rafah area,” having eliminated a terrorist cell and a launcher used against their forces.

They also mentioned that airstrikes had hit 25 targets across Gaza over the past day, and that troops were continuing operations in the central region to dismantle observation structures.

India presses for Gaza truce, hostage release at UN

India at the United Nations has reiterated its call for an immediate and complete ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and called for the release of the hostages without any conditions.

Delivering his remarks at the United Nations Security Council’s (UNSC) Open Debate on the Middle East on Wednesday, India’s Deputy Representative to the UN, R Ravindra, also underlined that India’s developmental assistance to Palestine, in various forms over the years, amounts close to USD 120 million.

“India was among the countries which strongly and unequivocally condemned the terror attacks on Israel on October 7, 2023. We have also condemned the loss of civilian lives in the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict. We have called for restraint, de-escalation and emphasized peaceful resolution of the conflict through dialogue and diplomacy,” he said

He urged adherence to international law and international humanitarian law under all circumstances.

“We reiterate the call for an immediate, full and complete ceasefire, safe, timely and sustained humanitarian assistance and unrestricted access to relief and essential humanitarian services in the Gaza Strip. In addition, we also call for immediate and unconditional release of all hostages,” Ambassador R Ravindra said.

He also appreciated the role of countries like Qatar and Egypt for their continued engagement with the leadership of Israel and Palestine.

“We have consistently reiterated our position in all the relevant multilateral fora,” he added.

India stands for peace and stability in the region. “It has been our longstanding position that we support a two-state solution that entails the establishment of a sovereign, viable and independent state of Palestine within recognized and mutually agreed borders, living side by side with Israel in peace. With due regard to the security needs of Israel, India was represented at the senior level at the International High-Level Conference on Urgent humanitarian response to Gaza held in Jordan last month,” the Ambassador said.

He also underlined that India’s developmental assistance to Palestine, in various forms over the years, amounts close to USD 120 million.

“Our developmental assistance to Palestine in various forms over the years amounts close to USD 120 million, including USD 35 million as a contribution to UNRWA. India has been providing an annual contribution of USD 5 million since 2018 to UNRWA. We have already announced the disbursement of USD 2.5 million. The first trans of our annual contribution to UNRWA was transferred early this week on July 15, 2024,” he added.

Concluding his remarks, he stated that India stands ready to continue its engagement with the region with an abiding faith in realizing the vision of sustained peace and stability in West Asia.(ANI)

ALSO READ: Indonesian Prez starts state visit to UAE today

Previous Story

What to Watch: New Releases on OTT Platforms

Next Story

Khatija Rahman Opens Up About Hijab Controversy and Mental Health

Latest from -Top News

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Ex-Mossad chief Spilled the beans?

One of the former officials described Cohen as “power-crazy” and

Gaza Nears Humanitarian Breaking Point

The Palestinian authority called on the international community to pressure