August 13, 2023
2 mins read

Niger’s ousted president deprived of “all human contact”

For the past week, the president was living without electricity, Bazoum said ad added that all the perishable food that he received was gone bad and now he is eating pasta and dry rice…reports Asian Lite News

Mohamed Bazoum, who was ousted in a coup d’etat by the presidential guard, said he has been deprived of all human contact and was given just dry rice and pasta by the military junta, CNN reported.

In a series of text messages to a friend, Bazoum said that he has been “deprived of all human contact” since Friday, with no one supplying him food or medicine.

Bazoum’s messages were given to CNN with the ousted president’s consent.

For the past week, the president was living without electricity, Bazoum said ad added that all the perishable food that he received was gone bad and now he is eating pasta and dry rice.

Despite his isolation, Bazoum has been in contact with the outside world. Though denied the chance to speak with acting US Deputy Secretary of State Victoria Nuland during her visit to Niamey, the Nigerien capital, on Monday, Bazoum spoke by phone with her boss – Secretary of State Antony Blinken – a day later, the State Department said.

Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou, the prime minister in Bazoum’s government, told French TV that the president was in good spirits despite being held in a “catastrophic situation.”

Hopes for a diplomatic resolution to the political conflict, however, have begun to fade, reported CNN.

The US had earlier also shown its concern towards the Niger situation. On Wednesday United States State Secretary Antony Blinken has spoken to Niger’s President and reiterated America’s calls for his release.

On his social media platform X (formerly known as Twitter) Blinken said that he spoke to Niger’s President to express our continued efforts to find a peaceful resolution to the current constitutional crisis.

“Spoke to Nigerien President Bazoum to express our continued efforts to find a peaceful resolution to the current constitutional crisis. The United States reiterates our call for the immediate release of him and his family,” he posted on the social media platform X.

Niger has been engulfed in political chaos since late last month when President Mohamed Bazoum was ousted in a coup d’etat by the presidential guard.

Despite the international pressure, the Niger junta is not ready for diplomatic talks, according to CNN. (ANI)

ALSO READ-US backs ‘peaceful resolution’ in Niger

Previous Story

China urges Philippines to ease South China Sea tensions

Next Story

ZHO launches two initiatives marking International Youth Day

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US to Negotiate Troop Withdrawal from Niger Amid Military Leadership Talks

The US State Department has announced that talks on a

Indians among people evacuated by France from Niger

At least four European countries announced that plans to evacuate