Recently I had attended a business dinner with over 300 attendees organised by Shadow Roads Minister – Bill Esterson MP which saw companies from a wide variety of sectors in attendance, supporting the Labour party … writes Prof. Kishan Devani BEM
Under Sir Keir Starmer MP – Labour has changed and is now the “party of business”, offering stability under his leadership, in contrast to the permanent cycle of crisis which has seen five Conservative prime ministers in eight years.
Labour launched a plan on earlier this week called “Labour’s Partnership with Business for Growth” setting out more details of how to improve skills in the economy, back businesses and create economic stability. Earlier Shadow Chancellor – Rachel Reeves MP said that Labour would champion Britain’s financial sector and not bring in a new cap on bankers’ bonuses. Labour also wants closer economic ties with the European Union, including deeper co-operation with the bloc on financial services.Labour’s plan for Small Businesses is one that is pertinent for the 1000s of Small Business Owners across our country. Jonathan Reynolds MP, Shadow Minister for Business and Trade, will be championing an ambitious plan to assist small businesses across the country by:
1. Legislating to tackle late payments: Unlocking £20 billion in unpaid invoices
2. Scraping business rates: And replace it with a system that is fairer for bricks and mortar businesses.
3. Revitalising our high streets: Tackling anti-social behaviour and powers to take over empty shop.
4. Boosting small business exports: Removing the barriers to export with clear information and support.
5. A new direction for skills: With Technical Excellence Colleges connected to local economic needs.
6. Getting Britain building again: By speeding up the planning system and unblocking the grid.
7. Making Britain a clean energy super power: For cheaper bills and greater energy security.
8. The best place to start up and scale up: With better access to finance and more spinouts from universities.
9. A fair chance at public contracts: With guaranteed shortlisting for smaller firms.
Recently, I had attended a Business Dinner with over 300 attendees organised by Shadow Roads Minister – Bill Esterson MP which saw companies from a wide variety of sectors in attendance, supporting the Labour party. This was attended by many Labour MPs, which included Darren Jones MP, Andrew Gwynne MP, Rushanara Ali MP, Tulip Sidiq MP, Seema Malhotra MP & Stephen Morgan MP. This transformation has only been made possible by Keir Starmer’s passion and the team he has built around him. Something which only a few years ago would have been absolutely inconceivable. Labour is now back in Business and is the Party of Business. Maybe this is why the Rishi Sunak & the Tories are petrified of going to the Polls as Keir and his Team are evidently a Government in Waiting.