June 21, 2024
3 mins read

Rutte set to be NATO chief as rival drops out

Romania’s security council on Thursday announced Iohannis had formally withdrawn and that the country backed Rutte…reports Asian Lite News

Outgoing Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte on Thursday clinched the race to become the next head of NATO at a pivotal time for the alliance, after sole challenger Romanian President Klaus Iohannis pulled out.

The veteran politician, 57, is expected to be formally named by NATO’s 32 nations in the coming days and should take over when current chief Jens Stoltenberg’s term ends on October 1.

Rutte will come in at a perilous moment for the Western allies as Russia’s war in Ukraine drags on and Donald Trump battles to reclaim the presidency in the United States come November.

After staking his claim for the job last year following the collapse of his coalition, staunch Ukraine backer Rutte quickly won the support of heavyweights the United States, Britain, France and Germany.

But he had to use all the diplomatic skills gleaned during almost 14 years in charge of the Netherlands to win over hold-outs led by Turkiye and Hungary.

Rutte overcame Turkish reticence with an April visit to Istanbul, before finally sealing a deal with Hungary’s Viktor Orban at a European Union summit this week.

That left the last sticking point as Iohannis, whose surprise bid had ruffled feathers among allies banking on a smooth appointment for Rutte ahead of a NATO summit in Washington next month.

Romania’s security council on Thursday announced Iohannis had formally withdrawn and that the country backed Rutte.

Rutte will have a lot on his plate when he assumes the reins from Norway’s former premier Stoltenberg, who led the alliance through its most consequential decades since the end of the Cold War.

Just weeks after his four-year term is expected to start, voters in the United States will go to the polls in a crunch vote to chose between incumbent Joe Biden and Trump.

The prospect of the volatile former president returning to the Oval office has rattled allies fearful that he could weaken superpower Washington’s role as Europe’s ultimate security guarantor.

Trump fueled those fears on the campaign trail by saying he would encourage Russia to attack NATO countries not spending enough on their own defense.

Like Stoltenberg, Rutte won plaudits for his careful handling of Trump during his first term in power — when the ex-reality TV star reportedly even mulled pulling the United States out of NATO.

“I think Mark Rutte is a very strong candidate,” Stoltenberg said on a visit to Washington Tuesday. “He has a lot of experience as prime minister. He’s a close friend and colleague.”

While Trump’s return could pose one major challenge — to NATO’s east Rutte will face the far more pressing menace from Russia’s President Vladimir Putin.

The Kremlin’s forces are currently on the front foot in Ukraine after more than two years of brutal conflict, and the NATO chief will have a key role marshalling aid from Kyiv’s weary backers.

At the same time Rutte will have to ensure the alliance is ready to defend against any potential future attack from Moscow — if, or more likely when, Putin is able to rebuild his forces.

Part of that will involve corralling European allies to spend more on defense — a key demand from Trump, and other US leaders.

This week NATO announced that 23 out of its 32 member countries had hit the alliance’s target of spending two percent of their gross domestic product on defense.

Dubbed “Teflon Mark” for his ability to remain in power for so long in the Netherlands, Rutte will become the fourth Dutchman to lead NATO since it emerged from the ashes of World War II to confront the Soviet Union.

ALSO READ-Le Pen’s National Rally seen leading vote in French polls

Previous Story

Le Pen’s National Rally seen leading vote in French polls

Next Story

Corbyn would have been better PM than Johnson, says Starmer

Latest from -Top News

EAM Jaishankar Heads to China for SCO meeting

This will be the External Affairs Minister’s first visit to China since ties soured after the Galwan clash in June 2020, though he has met his Chinese counterpart at multilateral events…reports Asian

Is Bangladesh cosying up to Beijing and Islamabad?

The Kunming gathering appears to mark the beginning of a dangerous geopolitical maneuver. Behind the diplomatic curtain, efforts to forge a strategic bloc seem to be underway—one that not only threatens regional

UAE rolls out red carpet for Indian start-ups

MoU signed with IIT Bombay’s SINE as CEPA Start-up Series aims to accelerate market access for Indian ventures In a bid to bolster cross-border entrepreneurship and innovation, the UAE-India CEPA Council (UICC),

Fuel switch mystery in Air India horror crash

Cockpit voice recordings, fuel switch anomalies and a possible overlooked advisory emerge in early findings The preliminary investigation into the crash of Air India flight AI171, which went down shortly after take-off

‘Kill and Dump’ Haunts Balochistan Again

The latest killings have reignited accusations of extrajudicial executions and the use of counterterrorism laws to cover up custodial deaths in Balochistan….reports Asian Lite News Concerns have deepened across Balochistan following the
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Russia-NATO differences can be resolved through dialogue, Modi to Putin

The leaders agreed that their officials and diplomatic teams would

Modi dials Putin, urges immediate end to violence in Ukraine

PM Narendra Modi reiterated his long-standing conviction that the differences