May 19, 2024
1 min read

Tunisia reports increase in migrant interceptions

The National Guard also said it had prevented 21,462 people from entering Tunisia across its borders with Algeria in the west and Libya in the east, four times the 5,256 number from last year…reports Asian Lite News

Tunisia on Sunday reported a 22.5 percent rise in the number of migrants “intercepted on shore or rescued at sea” as they attempted to cross the Mediterranean to Italy.

The National Guard reported that more than 21,000 people had been prevented from leaving Tunisian shores or had been rescued during the first four months of 2024.

A press statement from the National Guard, which also overseas Coast Guard operations, said 21,545 people were intercepted between January 1 and April 30, compared with 17,576 over the same period last year.

It said the interceptions occurred in an equivalent number of operations — 751 this year and 756 in 2023.

Tunisia and neighboring Libya have become key departure points for migrants, often from sub-Saharan African countries, who risk perilous Mediterranean sea journeys in the hopes of a better life in Europe.

Since January 1, the bodies of 291 shipwreck victims have been recovered compared with 572 last year in almost triple the number of operations (1,967 this year against 686 in 2023), the statement said.

The National Guard also said it had prevented 21,462 people from entering Tunisia across its borders with Algeria in the west and Libya in the east, four times the 5,256 number from last year.

The number of alleged smugglers and their accomplices detained more than doubled, with 529 arrests and 261 prosecutions, up from 203 and 121 respectively last year.

Sfax, the North African country’s second city, remained the main point of departure for clandestine attempts to reach the Italian island of Lampedusa less than 150 kilometers (90 miles) away.

The National Guard said 19,457 would-be migrants were prevented from making the perilous journey in the first four months of 2024, as opposed to 15,468 last year.

Last year many thousands of people from sub-Saharan countries fleeing poverty and conflict, notably in Sudan, and thousands of Tunisians seeking to escape the country’s economic and political crisis attempted to make the crossing.

ALSO READ-EU ‘concerned’ by Tunisia arrests

Previous Story

Senegalese PM slams French military bases on territory

Next Story

China eyes economic integration with Taiwan’s Matsu Islands

Latest from Africa News

India, Africa eye doubling of trade by 2030

India and Africa pledge to double trade by 2030, focusing on cars, energy, digital finance, healthcare and value-added growth to empower youth and economies. India and Africa are set to deepen economic

India–Africa Trade Tops $100B

The minister stressed that Africa continues to play an important role in India’s foreign policy…reports Asian Lite News Minister of State for External Affairs Kirti Vardhan Singh announced that India–Africa trade crossed

South Africa woos India at PIO summit

Hosted by the Indian High Commission, the gathering marked a fresh initiative to celebrate the contributions of the Indian community to South Africa’s democratic and cultural life More than a dozen prominent

Kenya Blaze Bill Burns British Army

The £2.9 million settlement follows a lawsuit over a devastating wildfire started accidentally by British soldiers during training exercises in 2021 Britain’s government has, for the first time, agreed to pay millions
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Tunisia, Algeria sign 27 bilateral agreements

In the presence of Tunisian President Kais Saied and his

Sunak says plan stopping small migrant boats is working

The opposition Labour Party said Sunak had failed to clear