October 6, 2022
2 mins read

Kidnapped Indian-origin family found dead in California

The family, according to authorities were taken by a convicted robber who tried to kill himself a day after the kidnappings…reports Asian Lite news

An eight-month-old baby girl along with her Indian-origin parents and uncle living in the US, who were abducted at gunpoint earlier this week in California were found dead in an orchard in the US state, police said.

The bodies of four members of the family, who originally hail from Punjab in India were discovered lying close to each other by a farm worker in a remote orchard in Merced county, Sheriff Vern Warnke said on Wednesday.

“Tonight our worse fears have been confirmed,” the Sheriff said addressing a press conference. “We found four people from the kidnapping. They are in fact deceased,” Sheriff Vern Warnke said.

“The family (of the victim) have been notified. We have made arrangements through other contacts to try and get them,” he said. The police will process the scene of crime to determine the motive for the killings, he said.

The family, according to authorities were taken by a convicted robber who tried to kill himself a day after the kidnappings.

The Sheriff described it as a “horribly senseless” act and said that the police did not know the “motivation yet.”

“We have a whole family wiped out and for what? We don’t know yet,” he said.

36-year-old Jasdeep Singh, 27-year-old Jasleen Kaur, their eight-month-old child Aroohi Dheri, along with 39-year-old Amandeep Singh were abducted, police said.

The news of the missing family was reported on Monday after local authorities found the missing victim’s truck on fire in a rural area outside the Merced Country.

A surveillance video that was released by the Twitter handle of the Merced County Sheriff’s office showed the suspect leading Jasdeep Singh who was carrying baby Aroohi in her arms into a truck and driving away.

California fire officials discovered Amandeep Singh’s truck ablaze in a rural area outside Merced.

“..received information that one of the victim’s ATM cards was used at an ATM located at a bank in the City of Atwater. Investigators obtained the surveillance photo of a subject making a bank transaction where the person is similar in appearance to the surveillance photo from the original kidnapping scene,” the Merced County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

Authorities have identified the suspect in the kidnapping as one 48-year-old Jesus Manuel Salgado and have taken him into custody. Prior to law enforcement involvement, Salgado attempted to take his own life and is currently receiving medical attention and in critical condition, the Sheriff’s office statement said.

On Monday, Merced County Sheriff informed that there is evidence leading investigators to believe that the suspected kidnapper attempted to destroy evidence. (ANI)

ALSO READ: US could upset Chinese blockade strategy of Taiwan

Previous Story

With 950 billionaires, Asia outnumbers all other regions

Next Story

Foreign Envoys Join ‘Garba’ in Gujarat

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Respect Vienna Convention, India Urges Canada

This comes amid reports of Khalistani elements disturbing a consular

India rejects references to J&K in China-Pak statement

External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said that the references