February 28, 2022
1 min read

Indian students stranded at Chernivtsi narrate ordeal

Priya, one of the students, said Indian students were stranded in Ukraine and needed help…reports Asian Lite News

A group of 21 Indian students of Chernivtsi National University are still stranded in Chernivtsi, Ukraine. The students are afraid as they have been told that local authorities have issued a shoot at sight order as the Russia-Ukraine war has escalated.

Of the 21 students, 11 are girls and 10 boys are stranded at Chernivtsi.

Girl students were also harassed and beaten by Ukrainian Police guards.

Priya, one of the students, said Indian students were stranded in Ukraine and needed help.

“For the last four days, we have been eating only three to four spoons of rice. Now the Embassy has asked us to board a train at our own risk to move out of the town. We somehow reached Chernivtsi and have spent nearly Rs 2.5 lakh so far. No train was available and we are losing hope,” she told.

She narrated the ordeal, saying Indian students were stranded on the roads.

She said Indian students like her were running out of money, food and now their lives were also at risk.

“We are roaming on the road and can meet with any fate. We need help,” she told while requesting to make arrangements for any kind of help.

The students also shared a video narrating how they travelled to Kiev, Lviv, Dnipro and reached Chernivtsi. They said no one was ready to help them out and were unable to cross the border as it was shut down by 8 p.m.

The students want the urgent intervention of the Union Ministry of External Affairs and the Prime Minister’s Office to save their lives.

The Indian government has launched ‘Operation Ganga’ and as of now have sent four flights to bring students back to India. The fourth flight was sent on Sunday afternoon.

ALSO READ-Russia’s historical grievance towards West triggered invasion of Ukraine

Previous Story

Hate speech: EC slaps 24-hr ban on BJP lawmaker

Next Story

When friends turn foes in politics

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Parties hopeful of EC lifting curbs

Political parties in Uttar Pradesh are hopeful that the Election

Karnataka to expand cabinet by Aug first week

Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai would visit Delhi on Sunday (July