July 28, 2021
2 mins read

US Lawmakers press corporate sponsors to boycott Beijing Winter Olympics

Senator Jeff Merkley, chair of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China (CECC), in his opening remarks said the hearing was not meant to attack or embarrass individual companies…reports Asian Lite News

A group of US lawmakers on Tuesday (local time) urged corporate sponsors to back out of the 2022 Beijing Olympics, over human rights violations in China’s Xinjiang province.

US Congressmen invited the representatives from domestic firms who sponsor the Olympics to a hearing to address how they could leverage their influence to insist on concrete human rights improvements in China.

Senator Jeff Merkley, chair of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China (CECC), in his opening remarks said the hearing was not meant to attack or embarrass individual companies but rather to explore how key Olympic movement stakeholders, corporate stakeholders, could use their influence to ensure the Olympics live up to its values.

“Holding the 2022 Winter Olympics in China and allowing its authoritarian government to reap the rewards in its prestige and propaganda of hosting this globally-beloved event does not uphold the Olympic spirit,” he said.

Representative James McGovern said, “unless things change quickly, the Beijing Games will be held under a cloud as well – a different cloud, of genocide, crimes against humanity, gross violations of human rights and denial of religious freedom.”

“As US-based Olympic sponsors, your companies represent America on the world stage. We ask whether you are willing to stand up for universal values and use your leverage against genocide and crimes against humanity,” McGovern said.

The hearing comes a few days after a group of US lawmakers had called on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to postpone the Beijing Winter Olympics and relocate the games unless China ends the ongoing “genocide” against Uyghurs and other minority groups.

Senator Jeff Merkley and Representative McGovern, released a letter last Friday to Thomas Bach, President of the IOC asking him to postpone the 2022 Winter Olympics and to relocate them if the host government does not end its “egregious human rights abuses.”

The letter said that no Olympics should be held in a country “whose government is committing genocide and crimes against humanity.”

Several countries including the US and UK recognise that Beijing is carrying out genocide against Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities in Xinjiang. Despite mounting evidence, China continues to deny genocide and has described the camps as vocational training centers. (ANI)

ALSO READ: Tibetan Prez thanks US for concerns over China’s abuses

Previous Story

Chinese FM, Sherman discuss responsible management of ties

Next Story

US Pentagon slams Myanmar’s military rulers

Latest from -Top News

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Indian-origin breaks another ceiling in US

As First Vice President, Shukla, 54, will be the institution’s

Indian student’s killer arrested by Toronto Police

Police said the accused fired multiple shots at the 21-year-Indian