January 18, 2021
1 min read

UK plans to protect historic monuments

New laws are likely be introduced in the UK to protect historic statues from campaigners aiming to censor the country’s past,the country’s Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick has said.

In an article published in the Sunday Telegraph, Jenrick wrote that he was planning new laws to protect links to the past, and generations-old monuments should be “considered thoughtfully”, reports Xinhua news agency.

It followed the removal of a statue in Bristol of merchant and philanthropist Edward Colston over his link to the slave trade and calls for street names linked to slave traders or the country colonial past to be changed.

The statue of Colston was dragged from its pedestal, rolled through city streets and thrown into the harbour at the height of Black Lives Matter campaigns last year.

Robert Jenrick (Wikipedia)

Jenrick said statues at risk are not just those of figures who are seldom remembered, adding: “It is absurd and shameful that the statue of Winston Churchill should be questioned. Nor is Horatio Nelson safe from the revisionist purge.

“I am changing the law to protect historic monuments and ensure we don’t repeat the errors of previous generations.

“Proper process will now be required. Any decisions to remove these heritage assets will require planning permission and councils after consultation with the local community.”

The Burton Cooper (Wikipedia)

Jenrick added in the article that he will unveil his new laws before Parliament on Monday.

“There has been an attempt to impose a single, often negative narrative which not so much recalls our national story, as seeks to erase part of it,” he said.

The legislation would require planning permission for any changes and a minister would be given the final veto.

Also Read-UK plans to offer first dose of vaccine to every adult

Previous Story

US sanctions hinder trade with EU: Iran

Next Story

Will Biden Heal The U S?

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop