November 29, 2021
1 min read

Ex-US defence chief sues Pentagon in memoir dispute

Esper’s book, titled “A Sacred Oath” is due to be published in May 2022. Esper submitted the manuscript to the Pentagon for review in May 2021 and received a list of requested redactions earlier this fall….reports Asian Lite News

Former US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has sued the Defence Department accusing Pentagon officials of blocking parts of his memoir.

“Significant text is being improperly withheld from publication in Secretary Esper’s manuscript under the guise of classification,” Esper’s lawsuit filed in Federal District Court in Washington, DC, says, as quoted by The New York Times on Sunday.

According to the suit, the withheld text is “crucial” to telling certain important stories about his tenure under former US President Donald Trump.

“I am more than disappointed the current administration is infringing on my First Amendment constitutional rights. And it is with regret that legal recourse is the only path now available for me to tell my full story to the American people,” Esper said in a statement on Sunday.

According to The New York Times, the Pentagon is aware of the former defence secretary’s concerns.

Esper’s book, titled “A Sacred Oath” is due to be published in May 2022. Esper submitted the manuscript to the Pentagon for review in May 2021 and received a list of requested redactions earlier this fall.

Former US President Donald Trump fired Esper from the defence chief post last November. Esper had been expected to be let go since at least June 2020, after disagreeing with Trump on various issues such as opposing the US president’s idea of using active-duty troops to quell unrest and riots in the wake of George Floyd’s death in police custody. (ANI/Sputnik)

ALSO READ: US economists warn of Omicron leading to stagflation

Previous Story

UAE leaders pay tribute to martyrs

Next Story

Cabinet approves requirements to clear housing loans for Emiratis

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US-India ties deeper, more expansive than ever, says Blinken

Antony Blinken extended “best wishes” to the people of India

India, US to reinvigorate action against terrorism-financing

Sitharaman and Yellen said their countries looked forward to continuing