December 20, 2020
1 min read

Thimphu enters complete lockdown

Prime Minister Lotay Tshering announced the lockdown within Thimphu city with immediate effect and asked everyone to remain home…reports Asian Lite News

Thimphu, the capitalof Bhutan, went into a complete lockdown on Sunday after a 25-year-old woman, who visited a flu clinic at the National Referral Hospital in the city, tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Prime Minister Lotay Tshering announced the lockdown within Thimphu city with immediate effect and asked everyone to remain home, reports Xinhua news agency.

Tshering said all outbound travellers from Thimphu are restricted and only emergencies and important movements into the capital city will be considered and allowed.

He said the Health Ministry would be conducting intensive contact tracing.

The lockdown is expected to enable health officials to trace and test all possible contacts.

“A primary contact had also travelled to various places in western and central parts of the country with multiple stops on the way,” said the Prime Minister.

Depending on the degree of transmission, relaxations will be initiated over the coming days.

The Prime Minister also announced that there would be no deliveries for 72 hours as there is a complete lockdown.

All essential deliveries will resume only after 72 hours.

Bhutan has so far reported 443 confirmed coronavirus cases with no deaths.

Also read:Chinese Defence Minister lands in Nepal

Previous Story

PICS: Midday Showbiz Awards 2020

Next Story

24 hour ultimatum to address grievances of farmers

Latest from Asia News

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop