June 22, 2015
1 min read

Maradona in fray for FIFA presidency

Diego Maradona Argentine football legend Diego Maradona has confirmed that he intends to run for the FIFA presidency to succeed Sepp Blatter, according to Uruguayan broadcaster Victor Hugo Morales.

Maradona, 54, has been a fierce critic of Blatter, and the former Argentina captain and manager has now decided to stand for the position to be the most powerful man in world football, the Uruguayan broadcaster and writer Morales tweeted on Monday.

Blatter has resigned from the presidency, but remains in the post pending a timetable for a new election.

That is likely to happen in December or early next year, and Morales, famous for his commentary of Maradona’s astounding second goal against England in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final, said on Twitter that he has been authorised by Maradona to release the information and make it public that his name will be on the ballot paper.

“He (Maradona) told me he was going to run for president of FIFA and authorised me to inform,” tweeted Morales, who co-hosted a TV programme with Maradona during last year’s World Cup finals.

“‘I am a candidate’ were the words Diego Maradona used to answer me when I consulted him about the nomination for the presidency of FIFA,” Morales said.

In May, Maradona launched a scathing attack on Blatter saying: “Under Sepp Blatter, FIFA has become a disgrace and a painful embarrassment to those of us who care about football deeply.”

Another former player, Brazil’s Zico, has announced his candidacy as has Liberia FA chairman Musa Bility.

Previous Story

Europe’s Largest SA Film Event returns!

Next Story

India looking to avoid ‘Banglawash’

Latest from Sports

India’s Pace Crisis

With the Duleep Trophy kicking off the Indian domestic cricket season on Thursday, the search for India’s next set of reliable red-ball fast bowlers will be a key narrative this year….reports Asian

Spin King Calls Time

Ashwin ends his IPL career as the league’s fifth-highest wicket-taker with 187 scalps in 221 games coming at an economy rate of 7.2. Former India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has announced his retirement

Harman’s Army Ready

Veteran drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh will retain the captaincy, leading a well-balanced side that blends experience with depth across all departments….reports Asian Lite News Hockey India on Wednesday named an 18-member squad for

Is Samson Out?

Agarkar named Gill and wicketkeeper batter Jitesh Sharma first while listing out Samson and Rinku Singh at the end. Shubman Gill’s appointment as vice-captain for India’s Asia Cup squad in the UAE

Govt Levels Up Gaming

By clearly distinguishing esports from online money games and gambling, the bill provides the legal recognition and legitimacy that athletes, creators, and gaming organizations have long awaited….reports Asian Lite News Union Minister
Go toTop