May 28, 2015
1 min read

Blatter pulls out of FIFA event

FIFA president Sepp Blatter

FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter has pulled out of a FIFA conference he was to address as a corruption scandal engulfs football’s governing body by the hour.

The embattled president had been due to speak at a medical event – in what would have been his first public appearance since the arrests that have rocked FIFA’s annual congress in Switzerland reports Sky News.

Speaking to Sky News FIFA officilas said the 79-year-old was pulling out of the session – which may have given the world’s media a first chance to question him about the £96m bribery racket outlined by US prosecutors.

Jiri Dvorak, special adviser to FIFA’s medical committee, told the conference: “President Blatter apologises for not being able to come today because of the turbulences you have heard about… he has to fulfil his duties as President managing the situation, which are probably more important.”

Seven senior FIFA officials were arrested in their five-star hotel in Zurich over claims they had been part of “rampant and systemic and deep-rooted” corruption running through football over a 24-year period.

Previous Story

‘PK’ takes China by storm takes $7.03 mn

Next Story

Gerrard says goodbye to Liverpool fans

Latest from Sports

Surrey Bring Back Roach 

Known for his ability to seam and swing the red ball, Roach will link up with the squad ahead of the season opener at Chelmsford and stay with the team till the

Eagles Glide to FA Cup Semis 

Oliver Glasner made a sole change to his side, with forward Jean-Philippe Mateta returning to the team and Nketiah dropping to the bench. …reports Asian Lite News Crystal Palace secured their place in

Morgan: Stokes Now, Brook Later 

England needs to find a new white-ball captain before they begin their 2025/26 home summer with three ODIs and as many T20Is against the West Indies, set to happen from May 29
Go toTop